Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Is Quality Job #1?


When I met my wife she was driving a '69 Mercury Cougar. Though the car was over 10 years old, it was built solidly and ran great at over 100k miles. Those were the days that American cars = great quality.


Who knew that when I bought my '94 BMW 740 that I would still be driving, and loving, the car in 2009. The car has classic good looks, is in great condition and drives great. I've looked at new cars, but none feel as solid or as comfortable as my Bimmer.


Our family also has a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. We don't drive it that often... it only has 50,000 miles, however it's showing its age. The interior is constructed of cheap plastic; it's sun-worn and the paint is peeling off many of the knobs and controls. The cup-holders have come loose and small parking lot smacks have left very visible dents in the fenders.


If the Big 3 in Detroit want to compete with Japan, Germany and Korea, they are going to have to build cars that last. Do they have what it takes to return to their glory days of the '60s?

No comments: